Tuition and Financial Aid
For the 2016-2017 academic year, tuition is $1,704 per credit. Tuition is charged per credit and DataScience@SMU is a 33.5-credit program. Please note that fees are subject to change and may rise each year. Students can expect to pay at least $57,084 for the entirety of the program.
Full tuition for the term is due eight days prior to the start of each term and can be paid online.
A non-refundable $500 tuition pre-payment is required prior to enrollment.
Books, Supplies & Other Costs
DataScience@SMU tuition does not include books, supplies or travel to and from the immersion at SMU. You may incur additional expenses for the immersion and should plan ahead to cover these expenses for the immersion course, which is required to complete the program.
You can purchase textbooks for all courses at the SMU Official Bookstore.
How to Apply for Financial Aid
If you plan to apply for financial aid to help fund your studies at SMU, you will need to complete the following steps.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at the FAFSA website. The SMU School Code is 003613. Be sure to sign your FAFSA application electronically upon submission.
Applying for PLUS Loans
Many graduate and professional students borrow a federal Direct PLUS Loan to cover tuition and expenses that exceed the Direct Unsubsidized Loan. Direct PLUS Loans are credit-based. If you plan to borrow a Direct PLUS Loan:
- Visit the Federal Student Aid website for detailed information regarding credit requirements.
- Complete the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Request online at the Federal Student Aid website. To access the application, sign in and go to Manage My Direct Loans, and then click Request a Direct PLUS Loan. Once you have completed the process, the U.S. Department of Education will notify SMU electronically.
Note: Credit decisions expire in 180 days.
When You Are Admitted
Upon admission to DataScience@SMU, you will receive login information for access to your student portal, MySMU, which houses a number of financial aid forms.
- Submit an Intent to Enroll form and a Self Certification form. The Financial Aid Office will review your financial aid application after you have submitted your enrollment decision and will send an email notification to review your Financial Aid award offer via your SMU email account.
Note: You must be enrolled in a minimum of 4.5 units per term to be eligible for federal student aid. If your enrollment status changes before the add/drop deadline, you must contact the Financial Aid office.
To Receive Funds
In order for funds to be released to SMU, you must:
- Complete loan entrance counseling and the Master Promissory Note (MPN) online at the Federal Student Aid website. If you are borrowing a Direct Unsubsidized Loan and a Direct PLUS Loan, you need to complete MPNs for each loan.
- Register for classes.
For more information regarding financial aid at SMU, visit the Tuition and Financial Aid FAQ.